Opportunity management system

In 2013, the system of opportunity management, which is related to risk management, was expanded at Daimler in order to be able to consider risks and opportunities together.

Opportunity management at the Daimler Group is based on the risk management system with regard to material risks and risk threatening Daimler’s existence. The objective of opportunity management is to recognize at an early stage the possible opportunities arising in business activities as a result of positive developments, and to utilize them as optimally as possible for the Group by taking appropriate measures. Taking advantage of opportunities can lead to goals being achieved or in the ideal case being overachieved. At the Daimler Group, a continuous process exists for opportunity management which includes all the opportunities that are relevant and implementable in the view of the supplying entities. Within the context of the operational planning, potential opportunities are identified in addition to risks. Those opportunities are considered that are possible but which have not so far been included in the planning. Unlike with risks, opportunities are assessed in relation only to their impact; there is no consideration of their probability of occurrence. The assessment of the impact takes place according to the principles described and is based on the same categories as the risk management system (see table C.50).

C.50

Assessment of probability of occurence and possible impact
Category Probability of occurrence  
       
Low 0% ≤ Probability of occurrence ≤ 33%
Medium 34% ≤ Probability of occurrence ≤ 66%
High   Probability of occurrence ≥ 67%
       
Category Possible impact  
Low €0 ≤ Impact < €500 million
Medium €500 million ≤ Impact < €1 billion
High   Impact ≥ €1 billion

The tasks of the persons responsible for opportunity management is, in addition to identifying and assessing the opportunities, also to develop and if appropriate initiate measures designed to utilize an opportunity, enhance an opportunity, or to implement it fully or partially in cooperation with a partner. When the utilization of opportunities depends on other topics whose development cannot be directly influenced by the reporting unit, those opportunities are to be documented and monitored. When the measures to be taken to utilize an opportunity are not assessed as being economical, such an opportunity is no longer pursued. The development of opportunities and the status of measures being taken are monitored at regular intervals.

 

Breadcrumb